Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potatoes
Dogs can eat sweet potatoes in moderate amounts as they are richly loaded with essential nutrients that may prove beneficial for their health. Yams, almost similar to sweet potatoes also edible by dogs though in limited quantities.
How are sweet potatoes good for dogs
- They contain antioxidants that prevent free radical damage, thus minimizing oxidative stress and lessening the risks of developing deadly diseases like cancer.
- Sweet potatoes have vitamins (A, B, C) that help to maintain the overall health.
- Its rich fiber content makes it good for the stomach, helping to improve digestion. This benefit makes cooked sweet potato an excellent food choice for dogs suffering from diarrhea.
- When boiled, sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index, hence being a suitable food choice for dogs with diabetes.
Can dogs eat raw sweet potatoes
Raw sweet potatoes are a complete no-no for dogs as it may bring a host of digestive concerns. Moreover cooking the potato helps in breaking down the fiber and starch, thus making it easy for your canine to digest.
Refrain from giving the skins and leaves too since they are considered poisonous for dogs.
Recipes for homemade sweet potato dog treats
You can prepare a dog chew, mouth-watering chips or any tasty dog treats with sweet potatoes. Here are the recipes for a few of them.
Bone-shaped cookies/biscuit with sweet potato
What you’ll need
- Almond flour ( half cup)
- Coconut flour ( half cup)
- Poultry seasoning ( two teaspoons)
- Cooked and mashed sweet potato ( one cup)
- Water ( one-fourth to half cup)
- Coconut oil
- Cookie cutter ( bone shaped)
- Mason jars ( for storing)
How to prepare
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 225°F
- Grease the baking tray using coconut oil
- Add all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix them well for a thick mixture
- Divide the dough into two halves and roll them to a thickness of ¼ inch either manually or by using a rolling pin.
- Cut them in the shape of bones and place them in the tray
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes
- If you have a whole lot of them and are using two baking trays then change the position with the top one going down and vice versa
- Bake again for 25 minutes
- Turn off the oven and allow the cookies to cool inside
- Bring them out and let them cool for another hour
- Finally, store them in jars and delight your pet with a tasty treat
Sweet potato dog chews
What you’ll need
- Sweet potato ( large)
- A sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Baking sheets
How to prepare
- Preheat the oven to 250°F
- Slice the potatoes to a length not less than 1/3rd inches
- Put them on the baking sheet and bake for about three hours
- Cool them well before giving to your pet
- You can even refrigerate them for three to four months
- Besides the oven, you can also use a dehydrator to for making the dog chips, if you desire to retain the fresh flavor. You need to dehydrate at a temperature of 145 to 155°F and dry for about 6 to 8 hours to get a chewy texture.
Is sweet potato bad for dogs
Though sweet potato is a healthy diet source, consuming in excess amounts may result in adverse effects like digestive disorders or any other health hazard. If your dog is vomiting or showing any other abnormal symptoms after its consumption, it may indicate an allergy, requiring immediate medical attention.