Can Dogs Eat Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds and dogs
Dogs can be given raw or roasted sunflower seeds in moderate amounts, occasionally as treats or an evening snack as it is rich in vitamins, minerals, monosaturated fats as well as other essential nutrients. Though you can feed your pets with the soft inner part (kernels) do not give them the seeds with shells as they are not easily digestible and may lead to problems if stuck in its gastrointestinal tract. Give them only the unsalted variety as too much of salt intake would be dangerous for them.
How much sunflower seeds to give to your dogs
Keeping in mind the size of your pet, you should calculate its daily calorie requirement. For instance, if your dog’s needs about 300 calories daily, then he can be given five grams of the seeds that would account to about 30 calories. On a average one may feed:
- 10-20 seeds to small dogs
- 20-40 seeds to the larger dogs
The black oil sunflower seeds contain a higher amount of fat than the striped ones. If introducing it to your pet’s diet for the first time, give a reduced amount. Make sure not to stuff him with too many high calorie foods in one go.
Are sunflower seeds good for dogs
- Its high Vitamin E content may help in improving your dog’s fur and skin, leading to a soft, shiny coat. It may also help in reducing age lines and wrinkles.
- According to recent studies, the presence of vitamin B8 and selenium in these seeds are effective in treating depression and neurasthenia as they work towards releasing stress.
Recipe Treat: Sunflower Seeds Biscuits
Rather than giving the seeds directly, you can use it to bake biscuits for your dog, if you wish to surprise him with rewards after a hectic training session. Here is one quick recipe of biscuits that your pet might relish:
- All-purpose flour (2 cups)
- Roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds in ground form( 1 cup)
- Cornmeal (1/2 cup)
- Grated Carrots (1/2 cup)
- Salt (One teaspoon)
- Eggs (2)
- Low-fat evaporated milk (1/4)
- Vegetable oil (1/4)
- Molasses (1/4)
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl
- Make it into a dough
- Sprinkle a little flour on the rolling pin and roll the dough to a thickness of one-fourth inch
- Cut the biscuits in variety of shapes using a dog cookie cutter
- Pre heat your oven to a temperature of 350°F
- Bake it for about ten minutes till the bottom of the biscuits turns golden brown in color
Can sunflower seeds be bad or harmful for dogs
Though dogs can safely eat sunflower seeds, over-consumption may lead to food poisoning and hurt your dog’s health. Symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain after consumption might indicate that your dog is allergic to it. Breeds prone to pancreatitis must not be fed with it as its high-calorie content may worsen the condition. It is always safe to consult your vet while fixing your dog’s diet, rather than giving it anything at random.
Sign up now and stay updated for all the latest news